Group discussion tips
- Rich Content with good subject knowledge
Having good subject knowledge and rich content is the first and foremost GD tip to enter the Group Discussion Round. Following are the key steps to improve your Group discussion skills in regard to GD content preparation:
You should prepare on variety of topics as rich and right subject knowledge will be required during GD round.
You should have subject knowledge and be well aware of the latest happenings around you, not just in India but around the world as well.
Subject knowledge is a pre-requisite while you are preparing for a group discussion because you will then have the power to steer the conversation to whichever direction you want to. If you can memorize some relevant data, it will be an added advantage.
If you are a good reader and read on variety of topics, it will help you in group discussion round. There is no need for last minute preparation. You should read over a period of time. Reading not only adds to your knowledge database, but enhances your vocabulary skills as well.
Always choose the magazines that are content rich and not just full of advertisements. Often magazines have columns which are promoting a particular institute etc. Avoid such magazines, do some research and buy the best that will be beneficial for you.
- Be a Leader
There is no doubt that to emerge a winner in GD round you should speak after getting a grasp on the given topic. But it also gives you opportunity to take lead. So be a leader to begin the Group Discussion. Key tips are:
Usually when the moderator announces the GD topic, for a minute there is silence all round.
If possible, gather your thoughts in a few seconds and start the Group discussion with positive impact and be a leader.
If you find that it is taking time to gather ideas, let others begin, and then enter the GD round by agreeing/disagreeing with previous speakers
Beginning the Group Discussion gives the opportunity to make an impact but if you are not able to make your point well, it will create negative effect
Therefore, it is not necessary to speak first but it is necessary that when you speak you are heard and are able to make your point well
If you are able to speak out the name of your previous speaker and then present your views, it will mark a good impact.
- Be relevant
When you speak you should speak to the point without any ambiguity of thought
Express your ideas at length. If you simply follow the other speaker or his ideas, remember your elimination is imminent
Wherever possible, emphasize your point with facts and figures
- Be a good Listener
Learn to be a good listener. Listening Skills are Essential for GD round, so carefully listen to what others have to say.
Just speaking throughout the discussion doesn’t make you better. You should learn to give others a chance to speak. Try and listen to others.
If the speaker is making an eye-contact with you remember to acknowledge him by nodding your head, so that the speaker is aware that his listeners are listening to him and paying full attention. This will also show that you are vigilant and are an active participant in the discussion.
- Improve your Communication Skills
You may have good and rich content with lot of ideas but if you are not able to communicate well your thoughts and opinions, all is useless. The need is now to improve your communication skills with following GD tips:
Be well versed in your communication skills.
You should have a good vocabulary and a decent command over English.
Much before your actual group discussion, rehearse well.
You can sit with a group of friends and choose a topic and indulge in a friendly GD.
Not only will this increase your knowledge, but you will also be a better speaker by the time it is time for your GD.
In case you are not sure about something, you can use phrases such as: “I think” or “Probably/Approximately” or “If I remember correctly”
- Body gestures:
The panelists observe the way you sit and react during the discussion. Body gestures are very important, because your body language says a lot about you. In a GD, sit straight, avoid leaning back on to the chair or knocking the table with pen or your fingers. Also, do not get distracted easily. Nervous body movements, folding your hands across your chest, having skeptical expression, constantly moving, evading eye movements are the indicators of a negative personality and should be avoided at all costs.
Following are the key expert tips to prepare for Group Discussion:
- To prepare for a group discussion, keep track of happenings around the world.
- Being aware of current affairs and issues and happenings, which affect our lives, however remotely, shows a well-rounded personality.
- Make a habit of reading English newspapers and magazines, watch interesting documentaries and profiles on television to get a wider perspective on issues.
- Group Discussion topics can be from a wide range of issues. It could be a topic on current events, business news, sports or anything very general. The wider your reading interests, the better prepared you will be to face the group discussion.
- Prepare the topics that are Repeated. There are topics that re-appear with minute changes and minor variations. Be aware of such topics well in advance so that you have ample time to prepare for the same. For example, the issues of terrorism, gender inequality, poverty, liberalization and privatization, reservations in educational institutions etc often appear as GD topics. Make sure you know these topics well and can come up with some unique, insightful points along with some data.
- Controversial and political topics do not figure in Group Discussions. So, there is no need to waste your time on them.