The Software Engineering Department offers a software engineering professional master’s degree M.Sc. Software Engineering (5 years integrated). The department was started in 2007; the prime focus of the department is, to enhance the students to extend and strengthen the ability to develop and sustain the transformative systems of tomorrow. Through the curriculum of various programs, the department aims at providing the platform to attain a higher degree of knowledge, global competency and excellence in design, development and application of various emerging technologies in software systems. The program has a unique ability to create relationships across diverse departments, to address specific educational needs and industry demands.The program builds a strong foundation and skills in software, hardware and systems engineering. The students are hence prepared for positions as engineers building effective software intensive systems. Rather than the traditional method of classroom teaching, The Department follows latest teaching methodology for teaching and learning process which include teaching aides like OHP and LCD Projectors model, charts and video lectures from NPTEL and the students are trained in a team oriented and self directed approach. In the course of 5 years, students are constantly skilled by mentors with significant industrial experience to apply the theoretical concepts of the classroom to the real world projects, which is a mandatory part of the program.
Department is headed by Mr.M.Saravanan assisted by eight faculty member’s qualified in Computer Application, Software Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronic and Communication Engineering and Mathematics . The department faculty members are working in wide research domains, equipped with knowledge content, ability to relate with students and utility value in various fields like software architecture, design, project management, testing, artificial networks, programming languages, embedded software engineering, multimedia software engineering etc.
To offer a professional degree in M.Sc. Software Engineering (5 integrated) which enhance the students to extend and strengthen the ability to develop and sustain the transformative systems of tomorrow.
To provide the platform to attain a higher degree of knowledge, global competency and excellence in design, development and application of various emerging technologies in software systems.
- To understand and apply principles of software development and evolution
- To specify, abstract, verify and validate solutions to large-size problems
- To plan, develop and manage large software using state-of-the-art methodologies
- To learn emerging trends in software engineering and project management
- To expose students to quality standards, CASE tools and agile methodologies
- To analyze, design and develop high-quality software solutions
- To equip students with practical knowledge of techniques involved in Software Engineering
- focus students and faculty members in research and development
- upgrade class rooms to Smart Lecture theaters
- Electronic Lecture Notes to students
- Formation of corporate advisory boards.
- Electronic Device Laboratory
- Digital Laboratory
- Computer Practice Laboratory
- C and C++ Programming Laboratory
- COBOL Programming Laboratory
- Data Structure and algorithms Laboratory
- RDBMS Laboratory
- Operating System and system Software Laboratory
- Computer graphics Laboratory
- Unix , Linux and Windows Server Laboratory
- Networks Laboratory
- CASE Tools and UML Laboratory
- Internet Programming Laboratory
- Visual Programming Laboratory
- Multimedia Laboratory
Strength of the Department:-
The department has one of the best infrastructure including domain-specific labs associated with the technical divisions namely: Software Project Management, Software Design, Software Testing, Web Services and Intelligent Systems. The department has more than 90 high performance computers in the range of Linux and Windows. In addition, department network communications have a fiber optic backbone, offering 20Mbps connectivity. It also supports wireless internet connectivity via a campus wide 802.11b network.
Conferences / Seminars/symposiums:-
Students have successfully formed an association, Association of Software Engineering and Computer Technology (SECTA) with the support of faculty and department. Through the association students organize various intra and inter technical fests, workshops, seminars and symposium. Association performing activities in various areas providing platform for the students to show their talents, personality development, communicate effectively; collaborate with industries, proving their technical and management skills. Students have also participated in various events organized by other reputed institutions. Students and Faculty have successfully published and presented papers in National and International Conferences, and refereed journals.
Major events and achievements
- One day National Level conference ESCALATE – 2009
- Two days work shop on PHP – 2010
- One day National level Technical Symposium Infoban – 2011,
- Two days workshop on SDLC – 2012
- One day Seminar on SELF CONFIDENCE & MOTIVATION, ENTREPRENENRSHIP IN IT Oligarchy 2012.
Pass in +2 with maths as a Subject.